I have shopped.
It was a remarkably uncomplicated shop as half of it was done at the butcher’s. This butcher appears to be a local institution. You’ll often find him mentioned on menus in restaurants around here: “Made with John Harbour Porterhouse Steak,” that sort of thing. Apparently he grows and butchers his own beef and pork and he clearly loves his trade.
I spent just under $40 on meat with which to stuff the freezer. There are:
- 6 English pork sausages,
- 500g chuck steak,
- 600g Osso Bucco and
- 3 of their own saveloys ! (the largest saveloys I have ever seen!)
Now, I could have bought an awful lot more for that $40 at Aldi, but it wouldn’t have been of the same quality. I had the money to spare this fortnight, so I spent it. This is going to make at least 12 meals, if not more, so around $3 a meal. Which means it’s actually affordable.
This is the rest of my purchases.
First, I stocked up on pasta and sauces and from Woolworths I bought:
- 1 x 5 kg bag Laucke Multi-grain Bread mix $12.57
- 1 x 250 ml Chipotle sauce $2.79 (my new thing this shop)
- 1 x 500 g Molasses $3.49
- 1 x 320 ml Hoi Sin sauce $2.39
- 2 x 500 g “curls” macaroni $4.90
- 1 x 500 g “Risoni” pasta $1.10
Total = $27.24
Then I popped into Aldi to get the rest of my bits and pieces. These were all pantry staples being replaced or topped up. So:
- 1 x 250 g Shredded parmesan cheese $3.69
- 1 x 500 g Dairy spread $2.99
- 1 x 500 g unsalted butter $2.59
- 1 kg brown onions $0.99
- 4 x 400 g tin diced tomatoes $2.36
- 2 kg white sugar $1.79
- 1 kg sweet potatoes $1.99
- 2 x 400 g tin kidney beans $1.18
- 1 x 200 g Bicarbonate of soda $1.79
- 2 x 250 g Microwave Brown Rice $2.98
- 1 x 500 g squeezable honey $5.49
Total = 27.84
So that comes to $95.08 all together. I have yet to buy eggs, which will use the last of the money allotted.
However, I’ve decided to go over a little anyway.
I want to go to the market on Saturday and stock up on some beans and grains. But, even if I go utterly berserk, I won’t spend more than $20 there AND those things will last for months.
You may have noticed a lack of fresh veg. Well, our crisper is still well-stocked and we have oodles of frozen vegetables as well. Don’t fret.